Thursday, January 8, 2009

826CHI

I'm all done talking about my "health" and my "cold." Not just because I'm feeling a ton better (which I really am), but also because I want to get back to what my blog was originally intended for: writing about writing (and other related matters).

Early this evening, straight from work, I went to a tutoring/volunteer orientation at 826CHI, which I learned is just one of the many 826 tutoring/writing centers located across the country and which was started by Dave Eggers in California.

While I won't be an after-school tutor - since I work 9 to 5 - I'm looking forward to volunteering in the non-profit through volunteering at writing workshops, events, and working in the Boring Store on the occasional night and during weekends.

I went to grad school to take a large step forward in my publishing and professional career. My job right now, while a good one and a necessary one, feels like a step back; I'm not doing what I set out to do, namely writing and publishing. Finally, I feel like I'm again moving in the right direction. I can't wait to start working with students, helping them with their writing, and becoming a 'secret agent.'

Check 826CHI out for yourself: http://www.826chi.org/

No comments: