Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Classe française numéro cinq

I'm halfway done with my first-ever French class... and I still feel like I haven't learned much.

Okay, that's a lie. I have learned a lot, just not the things I expected to learn.

Yesterday, we learned more numbers (through 79), more about how to navigate around Paris, and how to conjugate verbs, well, at least how to conjugate AVOIR in present tense. Last week we learned about the arrondisements and that was reinforced again this week; I also learned more about the banlieues - which was an aha! moment for me, since one of my characters lives in a banlieue north (nord) of Paris. At the very least, I'm beginning to feel that, if I left for Paris today, I would be able to navigate my way around and feel slightly comfortable asking a Parisian for directions. And I can't ask for much more at this point, can I?

Next week: a quiz! I'm guessing it'll be both written and verbal, to test our pronunciation (which I was complimented on yesterday by my professor - that was a surprise!). So, if the quiz is not incentive to study French more this week, then I don't know what is.

No comments: