Tuesday, May 12, 2009

The Speeding Ticket Metaphor

As Fast as She Can
How I Met Your Mother: Season 4, Episode 23

This will be a short(er) review/recap compared to usual. Why? Because I don't have that much to say about it, except:
1. Stella's not the mother (and is, in fact, engaged to Tony). Phew!
2. Since when can Barney drive?!?!

How I Met Your Mother is typically all about continuity and flashbacks and making the past and the future tie together nicely. But, again, I ask, since when can Barney drive? In "Arrivederci, Fiero" (Season 2, Episode 17), Ted tells the story about attempting to teach Barney to drive in the Fiero; alas, Barney is too scared to go above 5 mph and freaks out when he sees a dog ahead of him. After rolling into a hedge, Barney decides to never change and, therefore, never drive. Then, in "Moving Day" (Season 2, Episode 18), Barney steals Ted's moving van, so Ted can't move in with Robin. I suppose this implies that Barney can drive, but if he was so scared to, when did it happen? Just one line of explanation, really - it's all I ask for.

So, why is Barney driving and getting speeding tickets a big deal in this particular episode? Because getting out of speeding tickets was the theme of the night. Marshall got out of a ticket by tempting the police officer with a bratwurst at a BBQ. Robin once cried to get out of a ticket. And Barney? Well, Barney failed 15 times to get himself out of a speeding ticket.

And then there's Stella's story at the end, about the police officer who said, "I've been waiting for you all day." Stella's response, "I got here as fast as I could." This little lesson was applied to Ted's love life: the future mother, Ted's "one," is getting there as fast as she can.

Progress towards Ted meeting the mother is clearly being made - but Barney is still the one keeping me tuned in week after week. (That's a lie; I love a ton about this show - Ted and his quest for the mother just isn't one of the things I love). But I hate when things suddenly change for characters and the continuity of the show gets ruined - i.e., Barney driving, Lily able to keep a secret. Let's hope the show gets back on track for the Season Finale, when the story of the goat is finally revealed - and hopefully, Barney's love for Robin?

My favorite moments from last night's show:

  • Ted's ring tone: "Let's Go to the Mall"
  • Barney calling Ted from jail, scared by the people he shares the jail cell with, who promptly ask for their spray paint back
  • Robin demanding that Ted "bump" her fist, when Stella bemoans the fact that Tony dumped her because of something Ted said
  • Ted admitting that he wants what Marshall and Lily have. Yeah, yeah. I don't like Ted all the time, but this was a moment where I felt for him. He's best when he's at his most romantic.

Did Barney driving annoy you as much as it annoyed me? Were you glad Lily returned, albeit only a couple seconds? Do you hate Stella's character as much as I do? (I really didn't like Stella in this episode). What were your favorite moments from this episode? Share your thoughts!

No comments: